Saturday, November 1, 2008

Boo!! Halloween Tales for Wee Folk

Georgie's Halloween by Robert Bright is, like most of the Georgie series, a sweet little story. The kids love finding Georgie in several of the scenes, and it satisfies my love of things that remind me of my childhood. Vintage holiday fun.

So far, we've loved all the Froggy series books by Jonathan London. So much so, in fact, that I picked up Froggy's Halloween at Barnes & Noble without even reading it first. Not really something I usually do, but the kids were spending a little money from Gramma and Grampa, and Froggy's pretty dependable. I was a little disappointed in this one though. In three different scenes in the story, Froggy practices, "Trick or treat, smell my feet. Give me something good to eat. If you don't, I don't care—I'll pull down your underwear!" *Sigh* I'd read it before I could change my mind. Now, this isn't the worst thing that my kids will ever learn to chant, but I suppose I just wasn't ready for my 3-year old (and nearly 2-year old) to be walking around the house singing it just yet. Ah, well. I've warmed up to the book, and the kids like it, so it works, and I'll remember to not break my "pre-read before reading to kids (and especially before shelling out cash)" rule. And, OK, it is cute that the kids have changed the end of the rhyme to "... I don't care, I'll pull down your undies! hehehehehe That silly old Froggy!!" It does make me appreciate the sweetness of Georgie the ghost even more though.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin