Monday, December 29, 2008

Colors, Kisses, Wheels, and Tools to Use!

This week, four favorites are: Red Is a Dragon by Roseanne Thong, The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn, The Wheels on The Bus by Raffi, and a tool-book for parents; Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves by Naomi Aldort. Red Is a Dragon is beautifully and vibrantly illustrated by Grace Lin, and introduces colors with fun and interesting examples all in the introduction of Chinese New Year. The story also rhymes beautifully.

The Kissing Hand is a sweet story of a young racoon going off to school for the first time, and how his Mama helps him with his anxieties about leaving her and home each day for this new experience. After reading it once, Madeline starting kissing my hand every so often, and it seems to be helping with the idea of starting preschool.

The Wheels on The Bus by Raffi is a fun little board book to sing, and one of Erik's favorite songs right now (we sang "The Wheels on The Truck All Through The Snow" on our Christmas Tree hunt a few weeks ago). I couldn't resist this at the library today and E loves it already.

And, last but not least, my favorite "new" parenting book; Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves focuses on what our children (and how we react to their challenging moments especially) can teach us about ourselves... I really love it. I was 54 pages in before I could set it down, and kept reading examples to Joel. I've used a good many tools from the book, and they work. It's full of wonderful examples of real-world situations, great tools for defusing (and avoiding) tantrums, and treating children with respect while teaching them why they should be kind, respectful, thoughtful, honest, etc. (instead of ruling them by fear and authority). Aldort also strongly advocates parenting your own way, and staying true to yourself and your children. A useful and practical read for any parent!

2 comments:

Jerrie said...

I love the Kissing Hand...wonderful book!

When Archer was little I read a really thought-provoking parenting book...I wish I could remember the name. I haven't read one for years, but maybe I should pick one up on parenting a teen - YIKES! :)

The Suding Family said...

I picked up "Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves." It came from Amazon yesterday. I was up until 2:00 AM reading... wow. Awesome book. Thanks for the recommendation! There are so many tools in there (in just the first 40 pages, even :) that are good for dealing with everyone in your life... not just kids.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin