Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Be Boppin' Hip Hoppin' Jazz Readin'

Two favorites: one classic, Charlie Parker Played Be Bop by Chris Raschka, and one new fave, Jazz Baby by Lisa Wheeler have Erik drumming a steady beat on his lap (or the book) as we read!

Charlie Parker is so fun to read, it's got a beautiful beat, and I've read it so many times that I couldn't even venture a guess as to the number! One afternoon I read it to a group of kids about 30 times. I don't really even need to actually read it anymore of course... which is handy for distraction, since I can "sing" it in the car, grocery, wherever we are...

And, Jazz Baby is a new favorite from the library, full of lively and fun illustrations, and another lyrical storyline that immediately had me toe-tappin' and living the music of the book. Wheeler's prose, I'm sure, will be my next Jazz tune to bop, be bop with Erik to! Do wop doo!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin