LOVE this book. LOVE it. Really. Adore it. The three little chicks in it remind me of Madeline, and my three nieces. Who are all good, but indeed do have moxie, and aren't really the demure, mild-mannered sort of gals. They're loud. They like mud, bugs and worms. They like to run around in their birthday suits pretending to be warrior princesses... In a word, they are glorious. Just like this book.
Tough Chicks by Cece Meng tells the story of three tough chicks who are not like the other "good" quiet and orderly chicks in the hen house. These chicks are curious, boisterous, inventive, loud, dare devilish, smart little cookies, who save the day (in spite of everyone telling their Mama to "make them be good!")
This book I will buy, and gift, to many, many children. Check it out.
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
The favorites by far in May were Knuffle Bunny by Mo Willems, Imaginary Menagerie by Julie Larios, Wells' Ruby and Max tales, and Muncha Muncha Muncha by Candace Fleming. ****Faves detailed below:
- The curious garden / by Peter Brown.
- Knuffle Bunny : a cautionary tale / by Mo Willems. ****The kids could not get enough of this one. A fairly quick read, and they kept asking for it, over and over again. Luckily, I loved the story and illustrations too.
- Twist : yoga poems / written by Janet S. Wong ; illustrated by Julie Paschkis.
- The talking vegetables / retold by Won-Ldy Paye & Margaret H. Lippert ; illustrated by Julie Paschkis.
- The ultimate preschool playbook: easy, educational, and entertaining activities for your 2-5-year-old / Dorothy Einon. ****Great, fun stuff in this book! We've renewed it multiple times...
- Imaginary menagerie : a book of curious creatures / poems by Julie Larios ; paintings by Julie Paschkis. ****Mad loved the Trolls and Mermaids in this one, as usual the illustrations were the best!
- Bubbles, rainbows, and worms : science experiments for preschool children / Sam Ed Brown ****More great stuff in this one for the kiddos!
- Jellybeans / by Sylvia van Ommen.
- I love bugs! / by Philemon Sturges
- Bats at the beach /by Brian Lies
- Bunny mail / Rosemary Wells ****Max and Gramma shine in this one!
- Bunny money / Rosemary Wells
- Mrs. Wow never wanted a cow / by Martha Freeman
- Diary of a fly / by Doreen Cronin
- All in a day / by Cynthia Rylant
- Bunny cakes / by Rosemary Wells ****Both kids LOVED this one... the cakes were a hit, and all the boys I read it to said they'd want the mud cake with candies.
- Hip hop speaks to children : a celebration of poetry with a beat / editor, Nikki Giovanni****Fascinating (includes a CD as well)
- Hands are not for hitting / Martine Agassi
- Muncha! Muncha! Muncha! / by Candace Fleming ****Good rhyme and funny story - bunnies getting into an old man's garden, no matter what he does...