Friday, December 4, 2009

Satisfaction!

Finally! A satisfying version of Goldilocks. My kids love Goldilocks, and it is one of the tales that I tell them, rather than read, since I can embellish at will. However, Ruth Sanderson's version of Goldilocks beats any I've come up with because at the end Goldy shares the blueberries that she picked in the woods (which is how she came upon their house) with the bears by making blueberry muffins with them! And, the recipe is included at the end of the book.

Even better, the muffin-baking occurs after Goldilocks has helped clean up the mess that she's made of the bears' house, and apologizes for her amazingly bad lack of manners! I think this is one reason that my daughter is enthralled with the story of Goldy—she's appalled by her rude trespassing, thievery, and destruction. Madeline was very satisfied with this story. And, the combination of the clever new twist on the tale, and the absolutely gorgeous illustrations put this on my favorites list too (obviously, since we've had it out from the library since October... due back in mid-January)! Check it out.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin